Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stir Fry - Everything but the Kitchen Sink!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I've been out of pocket for a while but wanted to give you a new, fresh idea.

Stir fry is one of the easiest meals to prepare and can have great nutritional benefits.  One of the reasons I enjoy stir fry so much is because there really is no set method to the madness.   Typically, I prepare stir fry when I have veggies in the fridge that I've just got to use or they are going to be wasted.  Chopping them up and throwing them in the wok is a great way to make sure that you get the most out of your grocery shopping!

Some key things that I keep around to ensure a more "Asian" approach are sesame oil and sake.  Rice wine vinegar can also be used to provide Asian inspiration.  Your local grocer will carry some type of Asian chili paste or Sriracha.  Be careful, this stuff packs quite the punch even in small doses!

I usually start with garlic and chopped onion in the sesame oil.  After that, I throw in frozen veggies (rinsed to remove extra ice/water, but not technically thawed) and then frozen shrimp.  If you're not a shrimp eater and would prefer something like chicken or beef, switch the order of the veggies and the protein.  In other words, throw in the chicken with the onions and garlic to ensure ample cooking time.  Shrimp cooks light years faster than chicken.  

Many grocery stores also sell "Asian Stir Fry Vegetables" in the frozen section.  I use frozen veggies when I've been out of town and haven't been to the store.  Frozen vegetables, frozen shrimp, and rice are staples I keep on hand that ensure I don't have to eat out when I haven't been to the store in ages.  (As in a previous post, note the importance of a well stocked freezer.)

Edamame (shelled) is also great to toss in.  It brings a lot of protein to your meal and therefore can make your meal well rounded even if you didn't have meat to throw in.  I also keep cans of water chestnuts, baby corn, and bamboo shoots on hand.  Remember though, you don't have to have the typical Asian veggies.  Any veggies will do.

Coupling this with rice or noodles can make a complete well balanced meal.  As I stated earlier, rice and pasta are staples that you can (and should) keep on hand.  They will save you in a pinch!

I hope this post is helpful.  If you need more ideas, let me know.  Stir fry is my go-to meal when I haven't been to the store and just don't feel like eating out.

Have fun with it!

1 comment:

  1. The stir-fry on the fly is a great idea. I think the problem I have is keeping the well stocked freezer. I will freeze my leftover vegetable's next time b/c so many times I just throw them away!

    ReplyDelete